Insisting your kids to eat is quite a difficult task, the best way to make them eat veggie is through soups. Kids just love soups. So why not to make a healthy soup recipe this weekend. Halloween is around the corner, and I got this really spooky and awesome recipe for kids called Witches’ Brew Chicken Soup.
This is a simple chicken and vegetable soup and kids love this soup. I got this recipe from My Recipes but I have made few alternatives to it. I have added more veggies to make this soup healthier. This is one of the simple soup recipes that you can try for Halloween and this recipe feeds up to 12 servings. You can increase the quantity by adding more ingredients and so.
What’s more good thing about this soup is; it will keep them full, warm and satisfied for long. So, fill your little pixies' bellies with Witches’ Brew Chicken Soup before sending them out to trick-or-treat. A piping-hot bowl of this healthy soup makes a delicious dinner and it is an easy lunch for the next day too.
The chicken breast used in this recipe is rich in protein and low in fats, so all those who are real calorie conscious can definitely try this soup by just avoiding the sour cream, cheese and other fatty things. In the coming posts I will be posting some easy chicken breast recipes which are boon for weight watchers.
Anyways without wasting much time lets dig into the recipe section
This recipe can serve up to 12 servings
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine or divide 1:1 with olive oil (i.e. 1 spoon olive oil and 1 spoon butter)
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 (16 oz.) cans Northern beans, rinsed, drained, and divided
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 cup blanched kale or spinach leaves, chopped
- 2 (14 oz.) tubs of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- ½ cup milk (I used 2%)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- sliced green onions
- cooked and crumbled bacon
- Greek yogurt (weight watchers)
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add chicken, onion, carrots, peas, kale or spinach and garlic. Sauté for about 10 minutes. Stir in broth, chicken bouillon, cumin, and red pepper flakes (optional).
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer. Stir occasionally for 20 minutes. Stir in 2 cans of beans and green chilies.
- Mash remaining can of beans in a small bowl. Whisk together flour and milk, and stir into beans. Gradually add bean mixture to soup mixture, stirring constantly. Cook for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, stir in cilantro and serve with desired toppings.
I hope you like the recipe. To make it more interesting serve it in spooky soup bowls and serve them with spooky tortillas available in the market, kids would love it for sure. If you have such simple recipes for Halloween, you can share you recipes too or if you have any spooky ideas to liven up the Halloween party comment below.