If you are looking for healthy beef stew recipe, then you have stopped at a right place. Today we will discuss a flavorsome beef stew recipe made from boneless beef and this beef stew is known as beef chuck stew. Beef chuck consist of neck, shoulder blade and upper arm. It’s excellent for braised recipes like beef stew or pot roast. And perfect for making ground beef swell.
Nevertheless, beef stew are always comforting and soothing and it’s easy to make. You can make this recipe in oven and in the slow cooker if you want. Today I am going to use oven for this recipe. The only pointer that you need to remember while making this recipe is, make a tender and succulent stew which melts in your mouth when you take a spoon of it.
To prepare this recipe, you need a Dutch oven; with a tight-fitted lid and the one which is safe for both stovetop and oven. This recipes calls for basic vegetables and spices which are easily available and are always required to make a stew recipe. Ingredients like potatoes, carrots, peas, celery and tomatoes etc. and spices like bay leaves, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, oregano and parsley etc. to make the flavors really succulent and delectable.
This recipe serves up to 4-6 servings.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 2 lbs. boneless beef chuck, remove the excess fat and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ¼ cup canola oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 lb. potatoes such as Yukon gold, red-skinned potatoes or white round potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, peeled roughly chopped
- 4-5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 3 cups beef stock
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven at 300°F.
- Soak any excess moisture off the beef with clean paper towels. This will help you get a nice dark brown sear on the meat. Now season the meat generously with salt.
- Now take a heavy, cast-iron Dutch oven, heat the oil on high heat. When the oil gets really hot, add the beef and brown it thoroughly on all sides of the cubes. Don't overcrowd the pan. Work in batches if necessary.
- When you can see a nice brown crust has developed on all sides of the beef, remove it from the pan and set it aside.
- Now turn the heat to medium, add the onions to the pot and sauté it for 5 minutes or so, or until they turn slightly soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Reduce the heat
to medium low and stir in the flour to form a thin paste. Cook for
acouple of minutes, stirring throughout.
- Now slowly pour in the stock, gently scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it.
- Add the bay leaf, the dried herbs and the browned beef to the pot along with the tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and the cracked pepper. Heat on the stovetop until the liquid comes to a boil, then cover with a tight-fitting lid and transfer the whole thing to the oven.
- Let the meat cook in the oven for one hour.
- Remove pot from the oven, add the potatoes, carrots and celery, cover the pot again and return it to the oven for another 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Transfer the pot from the oven to the stovetop. Remove the lid and simmer for another 15 minutes or until the stew is thickened.
- Stir in the peas, adjust seasoning with salt and serve warm, garnished it with the chopped parsley.
I hope you will like this simple and easy beef stew recipe. Till then, stay Healthy and Fabulous.