Gravies and sauces are the essential ingredient to uplift the flavors of dish. Chicken gravy is one of the best gravy which can uplift the flavors of mashed potatoes, roasted chicken, turkey dishes or any chicken recipes.
There are plenty of recipes and methods to make a chicken gravy. The most important thing is to remember that gravy enhance the flavors of dishes so, adding herbs and spices are quite essential but it should not over power the flavor of the actual dish. A best gravy is the one which lift the flavors of the dishes like potatoes, chicken recipes and all.
In today’s post, I am making a simple recipe of chicken gravy; this is a great recipe to add to your collection. The flavors are smooth, mouthwatering and loaded with southern flavors. So let’s not waste any time further and start making this amazing recipe.
This recipe can yield up to 2 ½ cups
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Total: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons non-salted butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 piece chicken bouillon cube or 2 teaspoons chicken powder
- 1 piece bouillon beef cube or 2 teaspoons beef powder
- 2 ¼ cups water
- ¼ cup skim milk
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- Mix the beef and chicken cubes in water until it’s diluted.
- Heat a saucepan and put-in the butter. Let the butter melt under low heat.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and cook in low heat while continuously stirring for 7 to 8 minutes or until the color turns light brown. It is likely that the flour might burn when overcooked or if high heat is applied. Be cautious. Now add the remaining flour and continue stirring.
- Now add the milk and gradually add the chicken and beef broth while stirring continuously.
- Put the heat to low and bring the mixture to a boil. Cook for about 5 minutes more while stirring once in a while until the gravy thickens.
- Garnish it with freshly chopped thyme. Serve hot over mashed potatoes or fried or roasted chicken.
Note – Instead of skim milk you can also add whole milk. The milk gives the smoothness and richness to the gravy. Bouillon cubes already contains the salt so there is no need to add any salt in it. In this, if you like little tangy flavors you can sprinkle a bit of fresh lemon juice to uplift the flavors more (thyme and lemon really goes well).
I hope you have enjoyed this recipe, if you have such interesting recipe that you would like share, please write it to me at my email address. Also looking forward for your suggestions and comments. Till then, stay healthy and fabulous.