Who don’t like bacon or pork recipes? But although we all love bacon and egg it’s important to consider health too. Today in market you find leaner pork meat available, opting this meat option is always healthy and nutritious. Anyways one fine day I was eating pulled pork with burger and potato wedges and at that moment I realized how can I transformed this recipe into a healthier option.
Making pork in a BBQ style with some healthy options (i.e. without adding fats and other calorie stuffed dishes can indeed make this recipe healthy and nutritious. I guess best way to make a juicy pork recipe is with using slow cooker. A crockpot cooks the meat slowly which makes it really tender and juicy and it maintains its juices and flavors too. Traditionally, in southern part of America the pork is cooked in barbecue set outside your house. But today BBQ has no geographical boundaries; you have plenty of electric BBQ appliances available in the market. These devices are really great for your kitchen as some of them are even smoke-free. *it’s a god sent appliance, I swear!*
This recipe is delicious protein packed low carb recipe and instead of potato wedges I served it with low-fat tangy coleslaw. If I talk about calories than its 1 servings provides up to 250 cal/serving and protein of 34g. So, let’s start cooking –
This recipe can serve up to 4-5 servings
- 1 ½ lbs. pork tenderloin
- 2-3 whole cloves
- 1.5 tbsp. Smokey spice seasoning
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp. sugar substitute
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 6 oz. BBQ sauce (homemade or packaged)
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 cup light apple juice
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Stud tenderloin with cloves and rub with seasoning blend.
- Now place roast in Crock-Pot or slow cooker, and top with onions.
- Add all the other ingredients into the crock pot and cook it for 8-10 hours in low settings or 4-5 hours in high settings.
- Now remove pork, discard cloves, and drain fat and water (if there); if it’s juicy and got thick mixture don’t throw the mixture.
- Allow pork to cool, then shred by hand or with fork and later pour that sauce which was left on this pork.
For coleslaw, you need –
- 1 ¼ cups fat free mayonnaise or Greek yogurt
- ⅓ Cup sugar substitute
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp. celery seed
- ½ tsp. Creole seasoning or seasoning salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ head red cabbage, shredded
- ½ head green cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 scallions, chopped
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients and let it cool in a refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Serve this cooked pulled pork and whole wheat bun or with a burger bun.
You can have this recipe in lunch or dinner. This could be a good dinner ideas as you can put the ingredients in the afternoon to cook and serve them in dinner easily. Try to keep yourself healthy and stay fit. One small tip, even if you are eating super healthy but you don’t have any physical activity in a day to day life, losing weight will be a challenge. Just have one physical activity at least for 30 minutes and you can find a huge difference in you. Stay gorgeous and fab! Take care